Change The Culture by Changing Engagement!
Studies routinely show that highly successful schools also have positive school cultures that value a standard. These schools do more than simply value it, though: they commit to it, practice it, and live it. It is a standard to be strived for simply because it changes perception and the vibe on campus. You can tell any school’s cultural values by their accepted, normative behavior. Jeff Yalden is bringing to you a modality that will change your campus without changing your curriculum.
- Improve culture and climate on campus.
- Improve relationships between students and staff.
- Improve self acceptance and self-esteem.
- To build a family friendly and supportive campus.
- To value ourselves and each other.
- To practice self-care improving one’s emotions.
- To teach equanimity.
- Bring awareness to our mental health and how to be in control.
- To teach compassion, kindness, and empathy.
- To give back and see the benefits of selfless service.
- Less referrals for discipline.
- More community engagement, especially on campus.
- Becoming a National Recognized School of Influence.
- Teaches time management.
- Teaches non-judgement.
- Empower students and staff.
This modality is created for sustainability with Jeff Yalden working with your school community for 3 days to start. These three days Jeff engages the students and staff in a full day with school assemblies, break-out sessions, and a teacher in-service presentation. Then a parent and community program on Day 1. This day is the introduction of Jeff to the community.
Jeff engages the teachers and the students with how the modality will work with Jeff implementing it on Day 2.
45 minutes before school – Exercise: Yoga Postures & Stretching, Breathing, Present Awareness in a Safe Controlled Environment
Sun Salutations in the gym or common areas with any teachers, staff, students, coaches, counselors, and administrators.
Benefit of Sun Salutations (Ashtanga Inspired Yoga)
- Enhances skin beauty
- Weight loss
- Improves digestion
- Good for internal organs
- Corrects Posture
- Good for the heart
- Tones the nerves and nervous system
- Helps loosen the muscles in the body
Start of the Day:
Students raise the flag and understand the pride of being an American
ReFrame school announcements to focus on the school culture: Successes, Family, Pride, Mind, Body, and Soul
First Minute of Every Class
(Bell rings) Classroom doors closed. If anyone is late they’re name is written down and brought to the attention of Administration
ONE MINUTE Mindfulness Motivation facilitated by Staff Members/Students/Administration/Counselors
Cell Phone Policy
New policy where teachers have discretion in class. Cell phones available in hallways and in lunch. With this modality the thought is the students will be spending less time on their phones
Group Meetings with Student Government, Class Officers, Club Officers, and Student Athletes
These group meetings talks about stress, anxiety, overwhelmed, and how to take care of yourself inviting these student leaders to be active in creating a positive climate that is accepting, non-judgemental, and encourages self-care. These students are going to be required to show up early mornings as part of their leadership responsibilities and community service projects.
After School on Day 2
Jeff will meet and train any teacher, staff member, coach, administrator, or counselor from the school district who is interested in leading the morning Sun Salutations in the common area. This is required for liability in protecting the school and Jeff. This teacher training will take place from 3:00 pm to 9:00 pm (6 hours with dinner brought in).
Jeff is on campus and Day 1 where those adults trained will lead the morning exercise and facilitate the day moving forward with guidance and support from Jeff the whole day.
* Note: Jeff will have a folder for every teacher and staff member with examples of mindfulness motivation, meditation, thoughts, etc. This folder will contain information on the American Flag, why this modality works for everyone who engages in postures, stretching, breathing, mindfulness, meditation and how it improves the nervous system and many other benefits of practice. All staff will be informed and educated.
**Sustainability: Jeff comes to your community to train you and help implement the program for three days. Within 3-5 months after the initial training, Jeff comes back to your community to make sure things are running smoothly and to fine-tune anything that isn’t going well with the permission from administration.
** Every month your staff trainers will get video instruction from Jeff on teaching the Sun Salutations as Jeff leads you into Sun Salutation B and a demonstration of Postures and why they’re beneficial. Jeff is a part of your community for the whole year with videos, instruction, motivation and inspiration to keep the staff and students inspired and engaged.